|Department||Transport Commissionerate and State Transport Authority|
|Service||Apply For Vehicle Permanent Registration|
|Eligibility||Tamil Nadu Residents|
Permanent Registration of Motor Vehicle
As per the motor vehicle act, every vehicle has to be registered with RTO/MVI before running in road. To simply the process of registration, all the car dealers are provided with login and passwords for access the Vahan portal for the purpose of registration.
Dealer will apply on behalf of the owner of the vehicle through their login in online. (If already registered temporarily, the owner may apply for permanent registration). All the details in form 20 can be filled from the dealer log in and all required documents can be uploaded online and fees and tax will be also paid in online.
After online application with necessary documents also with appropriateFees and Tax the vehicle to be produced before the Registering Authority / Motor Vehicle Inspectior. for inspection. After inspection of new vehicle, if the vehicle complies with requirement of the Motor Vehicles Act and Rules made there under, the registration mark will be assigned to the vehicle.
Life Time Tax will be leived based on the purchase invoice.
i) Two Wheeler 8% of the total cost of the vehicle.
ii) Four Wheeler.
a) Cost of the vehicle upto 10 lakhs= 10% of Total Cost of the Vehicle
b) Cost of the vehicle more than 10 lakhs= 15% of Total cose of the Vehicle
In case of Transport passenger Vehicles, tax will be assessed based on the number of seats or floor area, whereas for goods vehicle, tax will be assessed based on the GVW.
Registration Certificate for non-transport vehicles (personal cars and motor cycle etc) valid for 15 years and after that it to be renewed for every five years subject to payment of Green tax. In case of Transport Vehicles (Goods and Passenger vehicle), renewal (Fitness certificate-FC) to be carried out every two years for initially for new vehicles upto to eight years and after that it to be renewed every year thereafter subject to payment of green tax.
Steps To Apply For Vehicle Permanent Registration
• Apply for permanent registration of a motor vehicle in Form 20 to the Registering Authority in whose jurisdiction the vehicle is
• If the vehicle has been temporarily registered then apply before the temporary registration expires
• Confirm whether the registration involves hypothecation in which case refer Hypothecation
• Confirm the type of registration number (Fancy number/Choice number/General number).
• Confirm about the usage requirement of HSRP/smart card
• Pay appropriate fee as specified in Rule 81 of Central Motor Vehicle Rules 1989 depending on the choice of registration number and use of HSRP/smart card
• Pay Tax as per Central Motor Vehicle Rules 1989 depending on the choice of registration number and use of HSRP/smart card
• Application Form 20 generated through online (If it is covered with HP in Duplicate).
• Initial certificate of compliance with pollution standards and road worthiness certificate in Form-22 from the manufacturer.
• Initial certificate of compliance with pollution standards and road worthiness certificate in Form-22 A, (Part II) where body is fabricated.
• Pan card or GIR or Form-60/61 of I.T. Department.
• Insurance Certificate.
• Proof of address.(Click here)
• Life Time Tax for Non-Transport Vehicle.
• Unladen Weight Certificate for Transport Vehicle.
• Permit sanctioned proceedings for Transport Vehicle.
• Temporary Registration Certificate if any.
|Class of vehicle||Fee (Rs.)||Road Safety Tax (Rs.)||Life Time Tax/Qly Tax (Rs.)||Service Charge (Rs.)|
|Four Wheeler||600||1500||Below 10 lakhs is 10%
Above 10 lakhs is 15%
|LGV(less than 3000 Kg/GVW)||1000||1500||Rs.19200/-||200|
|Autorickshaw||1000||1500||For five years Rs.1400/-||200|
|Tourist Taxi||1000||1500||Below 10 lakhs is 10%
Above 10 lakhs is 15%
|Maxicab (More than 6 Sq.mt)||1000||1500||Below 10 lakhs is 10%
Above 10 lakhs is 15%
vehicle registration tamil nadu number, car registration tamil nadu, new vehicle registration tamil nadu, vehicle re registration tamil nadu, check vehicle registration tamil nadu, vehicle e registration tamil nadu, vehicle registration code tamil nadu, temporary vehicle registration tamil nadu, tamil nadu vehicle registration address search, tamil nadu vehicle registration app, tamil nadu all vehicle registration, tamil nadu vehicle registration area code, tamil nadu vehicle registration number availability, rto new vehicle registration avadi tamil nadu, tamil nadu vehicle registration number booking, tamil nadu vehicle details by registration number, ap vehicle registration department, ap vehicle registration online, ap vehicle registration, vehicle registration number check tamil nadu, tamil nadu vehicle registration certificate download, tamil nadu vehicle registration code list, tamil nadu current vehicle registration number, tamil nadu vehicle registration charges, tamil nadu vehicle registration check online, vehicle registration details tamil nadu, vehicle registration department tamil nadu
Have a question? Please feel free to reach out by leaving a comment below